Monday, March 4, 2013

No Comprendo

     The last couple of weeks we've looked at the authority and authenticity of Scripture, so this week we're going to ask if we can really understand the Bible.  The Bible makes some big claims, and the God who inspired it has the authority to hold us accountable to it.
     I grow weary of being considered bigoted about social issues.  But, when the God of the Bible says in His word that something is wrong, it's not me they should be mad at.  I've just learned to trust the God who reveals sin in the law, and then justifies me by faith in Christ because I can't keep it.  But since they can't see God, nor do they believe He is who He says He is, they take it out on His followers and blame us because we trust Who they don't like.  Jesus said it would be this way, so it shouldn't come as a surprise when they hate our guts.
     I finished my latest book on Jonathan Edwards last week and was once again convicted that I fall woefully short in my spiritual disciplines.  With me it's cyclical how I follow God.  My daily scripture reading is consistent, but just about anyone can read.  My issue is genuine, heartfelt love for Christ.  Why is it that Edwards sees Jesus as beautiful, but I don't have the same impression?  Edwards would spend thirteen hours a day in his study, much of that time in prayer.  He would take long walks or horseback rides, associating the beauty around him with the beauty of its Creator.
     I read the Bible (I've read it cover to cover on several occasions), but do I really understand it?  When I read the Law (I'm in Numbers right now), do I see Jesus in it, or am I just thankful that I don't have to keep that ceremonial law like ancient Israel did?  I want to see Jesus.  I want Him to be as beautiful to me as He is to Edwards right now.  I not only desire to live coram deo (before the face of God), but want to feel the warmth of His presence in His word, in my heart, and the creation all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment