Sunday, August 28, 2011

I Miss, I Miss

Transitioning to civilian life (and particularly this job) has carried with it so many unexpected things.  My last work was quite nice:  I had banker's hours, a nice cubicle, hardly any duty, and more time than I have now with my family.  The joke as I walk in most days when my wife sees me is, "who are you?"  My kids ask my wife frequently where Dad is.  Even in my "off time" I'm always being texted or asked questions about something someone would like to see done or how one of the boys didn't answer them right.  I have five weeks before the break and it can't come soon enough.  I never thought I'd say this, but deployment seems easier.

Another thing I miss terribly is a real Sabbath Day.  I don't really get those here.  Of course, with the boys here and in residence, they must constantly be cared for which is very much like a regular family, except there are many and constantly needing discipline.  I loved the Sabbaths we've had in the past where we didn't go shopping (it wasn't expected that we would) and we'd have time to be together as a family.  It's weird with Katy gone too because we always had her and Trey's friends over either for a meal or at evening small group.  The pastor spoke of the value of the Sabbath in his sermon today and I couldn't agree with him more.  The Sabbath was made for man.

I miss the Sabbath, and I miss my family.  Maybe things will turn around before too long.  I was looking forward to getting into a routine, but we have seven more new cadets coming this week and they'll require another couple of 24 hour days.


No comments:

Post a Comment