Thursday, August 4, 2011

Worst Move Ever!

So, the furniture arrived yesterday.  Most of the furniture.  We discovered from the delivery company that they had left our futon and frame back at the warehouse and oh by the way, the cushion was not wrapped, so it's trashed.  The Clavinova's frame is broken and has to be repaired before it can be put together, and they lost an essential piece of our master bed.  It can't even be put together.  They gouged our nicest furniture when they slid it across the edge of their truck.  All this in a heat index of 116 degrees with our A/C petering out.  Indeed, after nine moves, this was the worst one ever.

For some strange reason though, we're not too discouraged.  It would be trite to say, "It's only stuff," but our attitudes are holding up.  The boys are enjoying the pool and their new friends (Randy disappears to be found later with friends when we all meet at the DFAC for lunch).  It may be that we are in survival mode and have not taken the time to think about it.  With guests arriving next week, we don't have any time to lose, but the house is big (or they didn't deliver all our stuff; a bunch of things were mis-labelled when they packed) which makes it easy for us to move around while we unpack.  During the summer break, the school still provides a nice lunch meal which eases the cooking burden.  We've been fending for ourselves for the other meals which takes the load off of Sheila.  Furthermore, the school has a furnished campus apartment they have provided for us, so we are very comfortable and have a "home" to come back to until ours is ready.

I've met most of my new tactical officers (they are the dorm counselors and military instructors) and I'm pleased.  I'm excited about what we'll be able to do.  The school has given me carte blanche to develop a training and intramural program and I have a big office (no windows though) with lots of meeting space. It already has all of the technology connections I need.  I just need my furniture.  I'm moving all of my military paraphernalia over there so we'll have more room at the house.

Much more has happened this week, but for the sake of being tedious, I'll knock off for now.  Staff training begins next week, so I'll let you all know how that goes.  I'll also try to start taking more pictures with my new iPhone.  I (and Sheila) can still be reached by e-mail and can provide phone numbers and addresses for anyone who needs them.

No comments:

Post a Comment